Friday, June 18, 2010

Show Us Your Life

One of the blogs I read always does a 'Show Us Your Life' posting every week for people to chime in on whatever topic it is for that week. I don't normally participate because I haven't seen one that just really tickles my fancy but today's SUYL is marriage proposals. I just couldn't resist. I love our story because it is sooo Brent and I. Plus one day Cecilia might like to know.

I went to Indianapolis/Muncie every year after Christmas since Brent and I started dating to celebrate Christmas/New Year's with him and his family. The Christmas of 2004 we decided that instead of gifts we would just treat each other to nights out at our hometowns. So on December 28th I headed up I-65 to meet Brent in Indy for our date night. He promised a really nice dinner and a carriage ride. Sweet! I had begged him for 2 years to take me on one and he said it just wasn't happenin! Needless to say I was pumped for our night out.

We got all dressed up and headed to the restaurant. It was downtown Indy and since Brent had lived there for a year and a half I assumed he knew where he was going. WRONG! We spent 45 mins wandering around downtown freezing our hindends off! To top it all off my heels kept getting stuck in the grates on the sidewalk and of course every time that happened I went flying to the pavement! I do believe things like 'I can't believe you don't know where you are going! haven't you lived here for a while now!' and 'are you kidding me with those shoes! you should have worn more sensible ones!' were thrown out. We were both a little flustered because it was getting close to our reservation time.

Luckily, we found the place and calmed down and had a nice diner. After dinner we were supposed to go on the carriage ride but at that point there wasn't one in a 10 block radius. Since we had a ton of time to kill before we went to the Indiana University game, we decided to walk around the mall. Brent became really quiet at this point and I figured he was still stewing over my not so nice words from earlier. I mean really directions would have helped! (later he confessed he was in a state of panic and was trying to come up with plan b) Anyway, it was time to head to the game and right when we walked about there was a horse and carriage. Brent tells me to hop in and we take off on our tour around downtown.

About halfway through our ride, Brent announces this is what he has been waitin' for. I look around outside to see what site he is talking about and realize he has whipped around and gotten on one knee (in the carriage mind you). I promptly ask him what he is doing and he grins and pulls out a white ring box and starts his little speech. I continue to ask what he is doing and if he is serious. He assures me this was no joke and asks me to marry him. The first words out of my mouth where 'did you ask my dad?' (Brent) 'Yes' (me) 'and he said ok?' (Brent) 'yes' (me) 'then yes I will marry you!'

I puts the gorgeous ring (that I knew nothing about some how) on my finger and I was the happiest girl in the world!

No comments: