Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Feeding Time at the Zoo

This week we have started a new feeding routine with U.  My friend, Jennifer, told me about Baby Led Weaning about a month or so ago and after reading about it, I thought it seemed like a cool idea.  The concept is to start babies off with chunks of food so they learn to chew first instead of feeding them mush where they learn to swallow first.  I know it seems scary because what if they choke.  Well the funny thing is, if they choke, it will be in the front part of their mouth instead of the back of the throat.  And actually we've had a few 'oh my gosh am I going to have to do a sweep?' but about the time I think I'm going to have to sweep, U spits it out.  It's been really neat testing this new concept out and so far, I'm a huge fan.


He had a peach and green beans the first night.  The only thing he hasn't caught on to yet is grabbing the food and feeding himself.  I'm not sure if it is the texture in his hand or what but last night I got out this big paci looking thing that has mesh on one end and a handle on the other.  The handle end can open so you can put food down in the mesh part.  U seemed to like this a lot better.



Last night, he had squash, carrots and part of a banana.


This is also allowing us to have family dinner instead of me feeding U his meal and me eating after everyone else is done.  I am still going to give him baby food at lunch mainly because he is at school during lunch and I don't want them to have to deal with the huge mess because this way is definitely messy.  U eats in only his diaper and gets a bath as soon as he is done.

I'm excited to try out new foods and see how well this works for us. 

No comments: