Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas 4 Christ

Every year, the church I grew up in hosts a program called Christmas 4 Christ. It's where we take kids in the community who are in need shopping at Wal-Mart. They raise money all year long so that we can provide Christmas to those kids who may not otherwise have one.

In the 20 years I have been doing this, I have only missed 3. It's what Christmas is all about.

This was our little girl for the day. Her name is Amy and she's 9. She is the oldest of 3 to a single mother who tries hard to provide for her children. She is well mannered, well behaved, and fun to shop with even after the confusion of what size she wore.



Today she walked away with a new pair of tennis shoes, some tops and art supplies (she is a lover of arts and crafts. Clearly we hit it off!).


She was so excited over her new things and couldn't wait to be able to go to school to show her friends.


These days are always emotional for me. I am reminded of my selfishness and things I take for granted. I heard two girls today say their moms had just told them they wouldn't be able to have Christmas. As a mother I couldn't imagine having to tell my child that but the girls acted as if it was normal. My heart broke. I was so glad they got to come today because today was their Christmas.
I always learn a lot when I shop with a child. They tell you all kinds of things. Some are funny and some are things you wished you never had to hear. They never seemed phased by what they're saying because its normal for them. Its their everyday life.
Today was especially heavy for Brent and I. After it was all over and the kids were sent home with their new clothes, bibles and food baskets, we were told about a family that would leave us sick for the rest of the afternoon.
They were a family of 4; kids ages 5 and 5 months. The mother's mother had always taken care of them and when she passed a while back it left them with no direction. The parents are in the early 30's and have idea how to manage the simple things. I'm positive the mother was only trying to take care of her daughter and her younger family but it left them not knowing how to care for themselves or their children.
They apparently live in a converted garage with the bare minimums. They wash their clothes in a bucket because their washing machine leaks and they have no money to fix it. Their only heat source are the kerosene heaters someone from the church bought them. The dad works when he can but was told by a doctor that with his spine condition if he does too much can end up paralyzed. They have some government assistance but not enough to cover certain things.
I have thought about them all day. You would think they would be standing there with their hands held out but that wasn't the case. They were very quiet, nice, and appreciated all the church gave.
Brent and I have talked several times today about this couple. Our hearts go out to them and we feel so stupid for complaining about our minor problems.
I'm not sure what God is doing to me this weekend but he has my number and dialing it often.

No comments: