Friday, December 3, 2010

Unexpected Gift

Tonight I was all prepared to chat about my Christmas decorations and how exciting it was to go Christmas shopping for Cecilia.

But things changed.

Tonight we went to Wal-Mart for our weekly groceries. Most of the time our trips are uneventful (if you count navigating around people in the middle of the aisles, getting on all fours to grab the last 12 pack of cokes, or being elbow deep in lettuce to find a decent looking one uneventful) but tonight was different.

I was standing at the meat counter trying to find what meat I needed for the week when Brent walked up with Cecilia. He had a semi shocked look on his face.

"Some lady just gave Cecilia a dollar."

I stared back at him.

"She just walked up and put a dollar in her coat pocket. Said her and her husband don't have kids and they like to spoil other people's kids. They already handed one little girl a dollar and she said Cecilia was her pick. The thing is...she didn't look like she had much herself."

"Wow! That was really sweet."

"Yeah I thought so too."

As we were heading to the checkout, Brent pointed the lady out to me. He was right. She didn't look like she had much. We stopped to thank her again and chatted for a moment. She was really nice and very friendly.

I walked away with mixed emotions. The mother in me was grateful someone was kind to my child. The adult in me questioned myself on why I have never done anything that simple. It was just a dollar. To me a dollar isn't a big deal but to some, especially a child, a dollar is a very big deal.

It was such a simple gesture and yet I can't stop thinking about it. She showed kindness to a complete stranger and it made her day just as much as it did ours.

Brent and I both looked at each other as we walked away thinking we need to be more like that lady and less selfish like we have been lately. We need to work on being the Christians we claim to be and show God's love just a little more.



Do you all have any stories of complete stranger showing kindness to you or you showing kindness to someone you've never meet?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great story for www.mrlovewell.com :)