Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Getting Prepared Part 3

This week we have taken our last few steps in getting prepared for Kindergarten.  I never imagined there would be so much to do to get C ready.  I'm exhausted.

Our final health check was a trip to the dentist.  This was C's first time to a dentist.  I know she's five, don't judge.  It was just one of those things I kept saying I'll get around to it and never did.

I took her to a pediatric dentist thinking it would make the whole experience better.  WRONG!  Two minutes after arriving, she looked at me wild eyed and said, 'I have to go to the bathroom, like RIGHT NOW!'  She had worked herself into a tizzy.  I felt terrible for her and I tried to explain what they were going to do but it didn't help.  They even had all kinds of fun things to do but after about a minute of playing, she sat next to me and told me her belly hurt.


I knew it was her nerves and again tried my best to calm her down.  When were called back, the first thing they wanted to do was an x-ray.  C freaked out and started crying because the machine looked scary.  After about 5 minutes of her freaking out, the hygienist said we could do it next time.  She walked off to get our room ready and I had a chat with C.  I explained what the machine did and that if she wanted, she could close her eyes while they took the x-ray.  After our pep talk, she agreed to the x-ray.  At this point, I thought we were golden.  That is until we walked back to the room where she would be getting her teeth cleaned.

One look inside and she stopped at the door crying and shaking her head no.  Something about the chair scared her and she wasn't sitting in it.  Here we go.  Drink please!  The dentist told her she didn't have to sit in the chair and that she could sit in my lap.  She climbed in my lap and I could feel her shaking.  Poor girl. The dentist did a quick check of her teeth and all looked great.  She also said that if C wasn't up to getting her teeth cleaned, that we could do that next time.  I told her that if they would explain to her what's going to happen, she'll be fine for next time.  The hygienist was sweet and showed her all her tools and told her what each one did.  I'm hoping next time everything will go smoothly because I've had about all the fun I can have with these dang doctor's appointments.  I would send Brent but he has zero patience and I'm positive, one doctor's visit with him, C would never go to another appointment.

After her appointment, I had a few errands to run.  It was during these errands that C told me that one day when she got big, she was going to move out of our house and move into her own house.


Why is my sweet, precious 5 year old already thinking about leaving me?  This was WAY too much for me to handle.  I mean I'm already crying everyday about her starting Kindergarten so the thought of her being all grown up and leaving is just too much for me.  She is going to force me to get medicated.

And to add to my crazy mama hormones, we had a meeting last night at C's new school.  Nothing like giving my mind time to process all of these new experiences. 


The Kindergarten teachers held a meeting for the parents to ask questions and for the kids to see the classrooms.  C was a little nervous at first but ended up going back to watch a movie and eat popcorn while we had our meeting.  We didn't realize two of her friends from school were already there and she said that made her less nervous.  Plus a little girl from her Sunday School class was also there.  We found out they are moving and will be in our district!  The little girl's dad saw us and said he was so relieved to see a familiar face.  We hear ya!

We seem to be in a really good district and all the teachers were really nice and sweet.  They understood our nerves about sending our babies off to school, as most of them have small children of their own.  It also helped us that a good friend of mine is friends with one of the Kindergarten teachers.  She made this discovery after our conversation the other night at dinner.  I can't tell you the weight that was lifted off my shoulders.  I'm praying we get her as a teacher but I know any of them will be great.

We are finally finished with our our prep work until the end of July.  We have to work on a few things at home over the summer but other than that, we can sit back and enjoy our last few months before school starts.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I know several Kindegarten teachers in BG - but of course NONE teach at Alvaton (where Tyson will be). I'd give anything for him to have someone I know. :/

Unknown said...

I'm glad she did so well. As you probably noticed, we left after about 10 minutes. Noah was having it and didn't want to hear them say anything about kindergarten. He even knows the teachers and the school really well. This is going to be rough!