Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reality Check

I'm driving to work today when my car sends me a little message telling me to "stop engine." Hmm that's weird. I get a little further down the road and it again says "stop engine" followed by "oil pressure low." I quickly look at my oil gauge and notice its going crazy. Uh-oh that ain't good!

I call my dad and ask what this all means. He of course asks if I need an oil change. Nope just had one last week. He then begins to go through all these different scenarios which only make me think that there is something terribly wrong and that it's going to cost me BIG time. The messages pop up again and he tells me just to pull over. Luckily I was near a farm where I knew the people. Dad said he was going to get ready and come on. In the meantime I called Brent to come see what's up.

While I was waiting for Brent, my mind started turning out all these what ifs. What if it is my motor? What if my car has finally seen its last days? What if it is some big computer problem? I started to shed some tears because I was flustered and this was the last thing I needed right now. I got mad at myself for getting upset over something so minor. In the grand scheme of things, IF my car is screwed up, it wasn't that big of a deal. Yes I would lose MY first car I purchased on my own but it is just a car.

I had to give myself a reality check and think about all the things that do matter. I have food on my table, roof over my head, I for sure wasn't sitting out in the middle of a that cornfield naked, a healthy baby (even though the daycare called yet again to tell me my child was congested! DUH! I was with her this morning!), and I'm surrounded by people who love me. I collected myself and focused on those things. And actually after my little pity party, I had a nice time out there waiting for some one to rescue me. It was still early enough that it wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze blowing. It was a great way to start the day! (of course I can say that now that it is over!)

To finish the story, Brent gets there to discover I have NO OIL!! I call the service center where I get my oil changed and told them what happened. They immediately sent someone to come get the car. At the end of the day, I found out that it was a bad filter, their fault and they would clearly cover all costs and be there if something happens.

Everything turned out fine and I hate that for those few moments I got flustered and upset. I always seem to get caught up on silly things instead of whats important.

Middle of the year resolution...don't sweat the small stuff!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, you're so cute. Good resolution!