Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm A Big Kid Now

I am not a coffee drinker.  In my 28 years, I've tried it twice and it almost came back up both times.  There is no amount of creamer/sugar/additives you can put in it to make me like it.  My ENTIRE family drinks coffee as if it is the only beverage ever around and I can't stand the stuff!

Or at least until now.

Yesterday was a bit chilly around here and I had suggested to Brent I needed some hot chocolate.  He was thinking the same thing only he wanted coffee, aka Starbucks.  I'm not a big fan of Starbucks' hot chocolate but I was willing to suck it up so we didn't have to drive across town in rush hour traffic.

When we got to Starbucks, we realized they were having a 2 for 1 holiday drink promotion.  Being the tightwad I am, I decided to try one of the holiday drinks since it was free.  I picked the one that sounded less coffee-ish and had mocha (aka chocolate- my second love) in the name.

Meet Peppermint Mocha...

 

I didn't think to take a picture when I first got it (mainly because I had an active 19 month old trying to stick her hands in my drink and wanting a "bie"!) but imagine 2 inches of whipped cream and chocolate shaving on top.  It was surprisingly good.  Think peppermint bark (my FAVORITE candy this time of year) but hot.
Who knew all you had to do was add a LOT of whipped cream and chocolate for me to like coffee!  I felt like such an adult!  Brent was so proud of me.

And I was proud of Cecilia for sitting in a coffee shop being the best kid ever!  


She sat next to me playing with her notebook and some blocks Starbucks had sitting out.  Who knew it was so toddler friendly! 

Now that I can semi stand coffee, maybe we could be one of those urban couples who sits in coffee shops, smart phone and newspaper in hand chatting about whatever it is they chat about while there kid sits quietly with their own drink playing with their smart phone.

Or we could be the couple that wrestles the hot drink away from the toddler who insists that she needs a drink while trying to look like we have it together and not spill the hot drink all over the table next to us.  Yeah that sounds more like us.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh - peppermint mochas are the best drink ever! Very proud of you!

PS - Don't try the McD's pep mochas though b/c they DO taste coffee-ish! Just a warning! :)