Monday, September 7, 2009

How We Told the Fams

I love surprises! I love getting them and I love surprising other people. So the minute Brent and I decided we wanted to get pregnant, I immediately went into planning mode of how we would tell our families. Brent's mom had made a comment before about how she was gonna hate how she couldn't see our kids and his older brother kids everyday or every week like she does Aubrey, the first grandchild who lives where they do. As soon as the words left her mouth I knew that I wanted to get them a webcam. Now, I just had to figure out what to do for my parents. I'm not sure what made me decide on onesies, I think I saw it in a magazine, but I thought it was a cute idea.





The minute we found out we were pregnant I ran out and had the onesies made. My dad's said, "I (heart) G-Diddy." Since my junior or senior year in high school I started calling my dad Diddy. I'm not sure why that name, but it just one of those things that happens when you are on a mission trip and spend too much time on a church bus. My brother's, Jason, said "Uncle Mayo ROCKS!" Mayo is his long time nickname and most people don't even know his real name! Last my mom's said "Momaw Spoils Me." Again with the nicknames. I used to watch this little boy at church and he would just say the cutest things. One night Mom and I were talking with him and he mentioned going to see his Momaw (M0-mawah), his grandmother. For some reason this struck us funny and we thought it was the cutest thing to call a grandmother. When we got our dog, Colt, I started calling my mom that when I talked to Colt about her. Yes I'm weird. I talk to my dog! The crazy thing is you mention Momaw and his ears perk up. He knows who it is. The onesies didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted. I think me and the store that made them had communication problems. They would get the message across though. I just had to sit on them for 3 weeks until my brother came home. Urgh!!!





Finally, the day arrived for us to tell my parents. If I had been feeling better that day I would have been pumped, but as it was, it was also family picture day and the jeans I was wearing were starting to get tight and that never makes a gal happy! Right before we headed out the door, I told them I had something for them to wear during the photo shoot. I passed out their gift bags and Dad was the first to pull his out. He smiled and said 'uh-oh.' My mom looks up and her face goes blank. She said 'oh my gosh! are you kidding me?' I smiled and told her no and my brother had pulled his out and laughed. We did a quick pose for a picture and then Mom rushed us out the door. I told Brent once we got in the car that my mom has no idea what we just did. And she didn't. She called me later that night to tell me congratulations. She said she was in so much shock she forgot to tell us. I laughed and told her it was fine and that I figured she wasn't fully grasping what we just did. I'm sure it was a big shock since I have done nothing but discourage the idea of children for awhile just to throw people off.





We just had to wait 2 MORE weeks before we could tell Brent's parents. Luckily time passed by quickly, and the time came for us to meet them in Cincinnati for a little time together and watch some Reds' games. Their birthday's are both in September, and his dad's was the following Thursday, so we told them that they had to get a joint birthday gift this year. We handed Pam the bag and she opens the webcam. She smiles and says its nice and neat, not noticing the note I wrote on the front. She takes a moment and reads the note then looks up at me and smiles. She said 'really?' I nodded and we hugged. She passed the gift off to Tom who read the note but didn't seem like he was getting it. I waited a moment and said 'I'm pregnant.' He laughed and hugs all around again. Oh the note I put on the webcam said "Even though you won't be down the road; You'll always be able to watch me grow. Baby M."





I think we really shocked our families, which is what I wanted to do. Now I can't wait for everyone else to know!




My dad, brother and mom.


Brent's mom and dad.


















1 comment:

Unknown said...

G-diddy that is awesome. congrats. did you know the last time i talked to you? if so im not talking to you anymore. just kidding.