Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Things I Want Cecilia to Know.

1.      You are good enough.  No matter what society or the media tries to tell you, you are perfect the way you are.  Some days it will be hard to believe that but you are a creation of God and to my knowledge He doesn’t make mistakes.
2.       Some people are just mean.  There will be people that come into your life that are just mean spirited.  They will say and do hurtful things but don’t retaliate.  Instead, show them love.  It won’t be easy but it will be better than getting to their level. 

3.       Always be a good friend.  Be the type of friend who holds their hands when things are ugly and the one who raises the first glass to celebrate the good. 
4.       Save the drama.  Girls are extremely dramatic!  I should know because I’m the president of the drama club.  I have learned, though, that sometimes it isn’t necessary to get all worked up and it only adds fuel to the fire.  Sit back and evaluate the situation.  It just may not be as dramatic as you think. 

       5.       Dream big.  Find what you are passionate about and run with it.  You can do anything that you set out to do and don't let anyone tell different.

6.       Don’t live with regrets.  You only get one life so live it to the fullest and have fun but be smart about it.  Don’t wake up the next morning saying, ‘ooo, wish I hadn’t done that.’ 

7.       You’re going to make mistakes.   No one is perfect.  Mistakes happen but learn from them.  Don’t repeat them.  The second time around they aren’t mistakes; just poor judgment.
8.       Grades 5-12 are ROUGH! Those years are full of drama (remember #4), attitudes and boys!  I promise whatever happens during that time won’t be the end of the world.  It will only seem like it.  You will get through it and it will all seem so silly when you are older.
9.       Dressing like a working girl is never classy.  There is a difference in showing off your curves and showing everybody what you’ve got.  Remember to be the lady, not the tramp.
10.   I love you but I’m not your best friend.  My role is not to be your best friend.  I am your parent.  Growing up you will always think of me as the mean, uncool mother that never lets you do anything.  I’m ok with that.  If it keeps you out of jail and ditches, then I’ve done my job.  One day you will see that it was for your own good and hopefully we can be friends but until them I’m fine being mean and uncool.

1 comment:

Momoi said...

Those are definitely good pieces of advice and I hope Cecilia will heed it.
I pray that when Cecilia's grown she will have the kind of relationship with you, that you and I enjoy right now. Goodness knows that we had our moments :)